GRE Syllabus 2019
GRE exam has two test formats – GRE General Test and GRE Subject Test. The GRE syllabus is different for each. General Test is the standard exam that tests students’ verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills. For more specific courses a Subject Test might be required by the college, as Subject Test focuses on judging the candidate’s expertise in specific fields.
GRE General Test Syllabus
Here is the GRE exam syllabus covering writing syllabus, verbal reasoning syllabus, and Math syllabus –
- Analytical Writing The analytical writing section aims to measure the test taker’s ability to articulate complex ideas clearly and effectively, support ideas with relevant reasons and examples, examine claims and accompanying evidence, sustain a well-focused, coherent discussion and control the elements of standard written English.
- Verbal Reasoning The verbal reasoning section aims to measure the test taker’s ability to analyze and draw conclusions from discourse, reason from incomplete data, identify author’s assumptions and/or perspective, select important points, distinguish major from minor or relevant points, summarize text, understand the structure of a text, understand the meanings of words, sentences and entire texts and understand relationships among words and concepts. Here are some topic covered under the verbal section:
- Basic Sentence structure: Nouns, Pronouns, Adjectives
- Verb Tense
- Idioms & Idiomatic Expressions
- Pronoun Agreement
- Subject-Verb Agreement
- Quantitative Reasoning The quantitative reasoning section aims to measure the test taker’s ability to understand quantitative information, interpret and analyze quantitative information, solve problems using mathematical models, and apply basic mathematical skills and elementary mathematical concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, probability, and statistics. To give you an idea about the topic covered under Mathematics, here is a list:
|Ratio and proportion||Profit and loss|
|Simple and compound interest||Speed, distance and time|
|Permutation & combination||Linear equations|
|Quadratic equations||Sets Theory|
|Statistics||Powers and roots|
|Probability||Pipes, cisterns, work, time|
|Lines and angles||Triangles|
|Order of operations||Volume and surface area|
GRE Subject Test Syllabus
The GRE Subject Test has a separate exam for these following subjects.
- Biochemistry (Cell and Molecular Biology)