How to Register for GRE
The Graduate Record Examination or GRE is a required standardized exam by those students who wish to seek admission to graduate courses like MS, MSc, MBA etc. at universities abroad.
Types of GRE
GRE exam is of two types
- GRE General Test
The General Test takes into account verbal reasoning, quantitative ability, and analytical writing skills. Most universities accept the general test score and usually a majority of students opt for this test. It takes place around the year and you can choose your date according to your convenience.
- GRE Subject Test
The GRE Subject Test measures the candidate’s achievement in a particular subject area. These tests are in the following areas: Biochemistry (Cell and Molecular Biology), Biology, Chemistry, Literature (English), Math, Physics and Psychology. It is conducted on a fixed date for everyone like an entrance exam. This test is required for specialized courses.
A Bachelor’s degree is the minimum requirement for seeking admission in any master’s program. Therefore, it is an essential qualification for taking GRE. Also, the candidate must be over 18 years of age.
There are four ways you can register for GRE exam in India.
Exam registration is done online and you need an account for the same. Click here to create a new account. Once the candidate has logged on to the GRE official website, s/he will have to fill in the required basic information like name, address etc. Payment can be made by credit/debit card only. After the completion of these steps, the candidate can log in and select the date and place to take the exam.
Note: Online registration is not available for test takers with disabilities or health-related issues.
Print and complete the Application Form, and send it to the following address along with the appropriate fee –
2nd floor, DLF Infinity Tower–A
Sector 25, Phase II,
DLF City, Gurgaon,
Haryana – 122002
The form must be received at least three weeks before your choice of the earliest GRE test date. A confirmation number, reporting time and the test center address will be emailed, faxed or mailed to you.
Call the Regional Registration Center (RRC), which is ‘Prometric’ located in Gurgaon, Haryana. The phone number is 91-124-4147700. The call must be made at least two business days before your preferred test date. A confirmation number, reporting time and the test center address
Print and complete the Application Form and send it to 91-124-4147773 with the appropriate fee. The form must be received at least seven days before your first choice of the test date.
GRE Slot Booking
For booking a slot for the GRE test you need a debit or credit card to pay a registration fee of US$205 and a valid passport.
Some important information the aspirants need to know before registering for the GRE:
- The information you provide on the ETS application should always match with your ID like passport and driving license. The name you provide should always be the same as it is on your passport. The testing authority can prohibit the aspirant from entering the test center in case of any discrepancy.
- Check out which test-taking format is available in your location and if you are comfortable with that format or not.
- Also, carefully read the policies of the exam before registration.
Steps to register for the GRE exam:
- Create an account on the official GRE website.
- Select a test center.
- Select a test date.
- Choose a time slot for the exam: After selecting the test date, you need to select the test center. Once you entered the location, the GRE website will show you the nearest test centers. You need to select a test center.
- Enter all your personal details.
- Pay the exam fee using an internationally accepted credit/debit card.
GRE Test centers
The GRE exam is conducted at the following test centers in India:
Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Mumbai, New Delhi, and Trivandrum.