The validity of the visa you are issued is decided at the discretion of the Consulate. In most cases, the consulate will issue a visa with a validity that is the same as or is near the expiration date of your passport. For instance, if your passport expires within 4 years, and you request a 5 or 10 years visa, the Consulate in most cases will match visa validity to passport expiration date. Please keep this in mind when selecting the validity of the visa you are requesting.
You must provide your actual signed passport, including one copy of the personal information page of your passport. Your passport must:
- Be valid for six months beyond the validity of your requested visa
- Contain at least two blank visa pages for the visa stamp (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
- Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way
You must provide two color, passport-type photographs that meets the following criteria:
- Be taken within the last three months and printed on high-quality photo paper
- Be taken against an all white background
- Be two inches by two inches
- Provide the full frontal view of your head with your face centered in the middle and displaying a neutral (non-smiling) expression
- You may wear neither eyeglasses nor headwear except for religious purposes
- Your photos should not be affixed to your application and it may not display evidence of adhesive tape or staples
- Glasses cannot be worn in photographs.
You must provide a copy of your driver’s license. Your copy must display your home address as it appears on your visa application form.
Please note: Your passport will be shipped back to the address indicated on your application under “Present Address” and the address must match your license or utility bill.
Business Cover Letter
You are required to provide a Business Cover Letter from your U.S.-based company. All letters must be printed on company letterhead that displays a U.S. mailing address. The Business Cover Letter should follow the same format as the Sample Invitation Letter.
Certificate of Incorporation
You must provide a Certificate or Letter of Incorporation from the company that is inviting you to India.
Letter of Invitation
You must obtain a letter of invitation. The organization you will be visiting is responsible for providing the invitation. A copy is acceptable. This letter must :
- Be written on company letterhead
- Include the full local address and phone number of the organization or person to be visited
- Request the same validity of visa as in the Business Introduction Letter
- Match the exact format as the sample invitation letter provided in this kit
- Preferably display a stamp from the company or the government agency
- Include a statement of the sponsor’s full responsibility for the traveler, if the responsibility was not mentioned in the business cover letter
- Be signed
Applicants traveling to India for short-term business, technical meetings, etc. must apply for a 1-year visa. 5 and 10-year visas will not be issued for short-term business affairs
Additional Particulars Form
You must sign and complete the Additional Particulars Form found in this kit. All questions must be answered with a “yes” or “no”. Do not use N/A on the form.
In the case of an application for a minor child, both parents must sign the Additional Particulars Form.
Visa Application Form
The Consulate of India requires a visa application form that is completed online. To access the form follow this link: http://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/. Click on the orange button labeled “Regular Visa Application” in the upper-left corner to begin the process. Your application must:
- Display your name exactly as it appears in your passport
- Include answers for all fields
- Type of visa and length of validity requested must match listing on all other documentation
- Include 2 signatures: one on page 1 under the photo (do not sign outside of the box on page 1), and a signature on page 2. Both signatures must match the signature in your passport.
- Include your email address on the online application. Applications missing a personal email address will be rejected by the consulate
- Be printed on single-sided sheets of paper. Double-sided applications will be rejected. You must fully print the bar code on the bottom of page 1
- Your passport will be shipped directly back to your “Present Address” indicated on your India Application.
Visa Central Order Form
Provide the Visa Central Order Form included in this kit.
Persons of Indian Origin Only
If you are of Indian origin you are required to renounce your Indian citizenship in order to apply for an Indian visa. Please note Visa Central cannot submit your request for a visa without the renunciation certificate. You must provide proof your of renunciation as one of the following:
- A Certificate of Renunciation issued by a Consulate of India
- An Indian passport containing a stamp of renunciation
Persons of Pakistani Origin Only
You must make a personal appearance at the Indian Consulate to process your visa if you are a person of Pakistani origin and/or formerly held a Pakistani passport. The consulate requires additional procedures in order to process your visa and VisaCentral is unable to assist in these procedures.
If traveling to India for a conference, the traveler does not qualify for a business visa. They will require a conference visa. Please contact us for further information.
Born in China or Hong Kong
If you are a US citizen born in China or Hong Kong, the embassy will require 30 days to process your application.
Frequent Travelers to India
A re-entry permit is required of travelers who were born in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Sudan and stateless persons if you wish to re-enter India in less than 2 months after your last visit.
Former Armed Forces
Applicants who previously served in the armed forces may not apply for long validity visas for India. The consulate will only issue a 1-year validity visa to these travelers.